But not with my programming.
No matter how much I accomplish or how magical my coding day has gone, it's never enough. It's never 'done'. The idea of being 'finished' takes on a monstrous aspect when I apply it to programming. Which is weird, because, in my head, I know that programming projects are never 'finished'. There's always more bugs, more efficiencies, more features, and more documentation that could be done on it. No matter how big or how small it is. I know this. So why do I fixate on, "Crap. It's not done."?
Emotionally, this is all quite devastating. I am punishing myself whether I do a good job or a poor one as a computer-nerd - with no way to win. And I don't like to play games I can't win.
This is really exceptionally strange (from a logical perspective) because programming is the only thing I look at in this manner. I'm still trying to figure out why I do this to myself, and I think I'm making a bit of progress. But, as with most odd mental blocks, it's very difficult to see what is really going on.
What I need to do is to put the brakes on this 'can't-win' cycle. That just drives me away from my work. It's draining and emotionally it's 'teaching me' (in a limbic sense) to stay away from programming altogether. Something that I love. That pisses me off. Nobody gets to push me around - not even me! LOL!
I'm writing up a list of small things that I do that I can be proud of in my programming work. Solving a problem. Figuring out how to make an interface clean. Making code maintainable. Communicating with clients and not stonewalling them behind an emotionless forcefield of sociopathic relaxation or escapism. It's very hard to look at my programming like this because small victories don't result in a finished report or process for clients. But if I want to keep working as a programmer, this is what I'm going to have to do.
I'll post more about how this is going later...
No comments:
Post a Comment